Christmas wouldn’t be the same for many without a festive tipple. Here are our tips for enjoying the season more sustainably.
- Buy drinks in glass bottles or aluminium cans rather than plastic, as glass and aluminium are easier to recycle.
- Buy local – check out what drinks are produced locally. You’ll be surprised by the variety on offer from small local producers – from vineyards and small breweries to local gin.
- If you’re having a party and need extra glasses, borrow or rent them from an off licence rather than buying disposable plastic ones.
- If serving cocktails or drinks for children – ditch the plastic straw! (If you really can’t do without a straw, check out some of the eco- friendly alternatives to plastic straws now available online.)
- Don’t throw away wine corks, the natural ones (not the plastic kind) make great firelighters if you have a real fire, or can be used in craft projects.